Who Is the Stranger ? Parashat Mishpatim (Exodus 21:1-24:18) Shabbat Parashat Mishpatim: 25 Shevat 5778 כ"ה בשבט תשע״ח "You shall not wrong or oppress the stranger for you were strangers in the land of Egypt." (Exodus 22:20) כ וְגֵר לֹא-תוֹנֶה, וְלֹא תִלְחָצֶנּוּ: כִּי-גֵרִים הֱיִיתֶם, בְּאֶרֶץ מִצְרָיִם. (שמות כב:כ) Ger (or Stranger ) is the Hebrew term used by the Torah in reference to what we might today term the " O ther " living amongst us . We often speak about celebrating diversity, pluralism and embracing people who are different from us, but how do our actions reflect our lofty ideals? In this week's Torah portion, we are commanded not to wrong or oppress the stranger; the rationale for the commandment is quite clear -- empathy: you were strangers in the Land of Egypt and know what it feels like to be the stranger/other! How strongly does the Torah feel about...
Shalom! Not only do I want to get reconnected to all of you who were following my blog before I took a break but I want speak about how we all get disconnected with God and how we can get reconnected to God and ourselves through our thought speech and action. I have a number of videos that I have not shared over the last months and I will begin back posting them in the coming days. All the best and Shabbat Shalom! Click below for the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UribAkFD5bg&feature=youtu.be
Comments
Post a Comment